Monday, January 5, 2009

Target Heart Rate

One of the most important things is finding your Target Heart Rate. If you are trying to burn fat it is a very helpful tool. Working to low or to high will slow the fat burning process down. You do not have to have a fancy heart rate monitor, just a clock with a second hand.

Here is the website for a few calculator's you can use to determine yours:


I like this one (it is a little more detailed, so I think the result is better)
This one is very basic

I remember searching the Internet to find the best cardio workout. I wanted to know what was the most effective at burning fat (treadmill, elliptical, cycling, etc...) I did find that some are far more effective in burning more calories per hour, depending on your effort. But, BOTTOM LINE, the best cardio workout is THE ONE THAT YOU WILL DO. I loved that piece of advice and it has stuck with me. It is not going to do any good if you are doing something you absolutely hate. If you like to walk vs. running then make the walking as effective as possible. If your treadmill has an incline then use it, even a 1% increase in your incline will burn extra calories. I do not like cardio, I much prefer weight training and so I have had to learn how to make myself stick with it. I use my ipod a lot on the treadmill, I always work harder when I have great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment