Friday, January 9, 2009

Empty Calories

Eating healthy is by far my biggest down fall! I love fruits and vegetables but for some reason I do not eat near enough of them. I workout faithfully, but all that does it maintain my weight because I am not putting the proper nutrition into my body. I know I would feel and look better if I made a choice to eat clean. I do not drink much soda and have learned to make water my drink of choice. Now I need to make healthy eating a top priority for me and my family this year.


-------------------------------------------------------

Soda, candy, chips? What do they have in common?*
They are all top sources of what many dietitians refer to as "empty calories."
The American Heritage College dictionary defines "empty" as "holding or containing nothing." And for all the calories these foods add to your diet, they bring along almost nothing else for your body -- very little vitamins or minerals, very little fiber or phytochemicals.
There are basically two empty-calorie culprits in our diets:
Anything with lots of sugar or other sweeteners
Anything with lots of fat and oil


Examples of foods containing mostly Empty Calories**

  • French fries, fried chicken, chips and all other deep fried foods
  • Candy, pop and other sweetened packaged foods
  • Beer, wine and all other alcoholic beverages
  • Refined grains such as crackers, cookies, white rice and white bread (refined grains do provide some B vitamins, but that's it)
Empty calories aren't very fulfilling and often leave hunger lurking around. They are much like the soda/water fixation in which an individuals thirst doesn't get quenched with soda, rather leaves one craving more soda (The Sugar Fix). The more you drink water, you'll soon find it to be your favorite 'beverage' preference.
Empty calories translate into 'quick weight gains' if left unaccounted in the diet.


Personal Note: (sometimes a good visual helps)
You can actually eat more if you choose healthy food vs. empty calories.

For 155 calories you could choose this Coke

or have 1 apple and 1 banana. What do you think is going to sustain you longer?





For 242 calories you could choose this donut


or you could have all of this - 1 pineapple, 1 medium orange, 1 kiwi and 1 apple. That is a lot of fruit compared to one donut.

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

----------------------------------------------------------

*Article taken from medicinenet.net for more information click here
**Info received from healthcastle.com for more information click here here

No comments:

Post a Comment